Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Walking Dead - Season 5, Episode 12 - "Remember"


Blair Fink (Twitter: @BlairMFink, Instagram: @BlairFink)
Steve Bethel (Twitter: @the_lazy_gamer, Website: steveisthelazygamer.blogspot.ca)

Aw yiss.

The Walking Dead, Season 5, Episode 12, "Remember"


TAME AS THE WILD ONES


"The kids deserve a roof over their heads. I guess."


I enjoyed this episode. Feeling out Alexandria, feeling out the people, finding roles for everyone. Sorry Blair, the beard is gone.

Rick’s beard had to die so that he could live.

Is it too good to be true? Alexandria I mean, not the beard. It has to be, right? Will we be sitting pretty and clean for four more episodes? Or does Alexandria hold a deep dark secret?

I think for once we are getting the point of view of the “problem group” in the meeting of two communities, although not on the same level as Woodbury/Governor's Gang and Terminus. Alexandria is on the level but Rick's group is just too intense for the people of Alexandria to handle.

So what do we want to break down first? Deanna and the intermittent video interviews? I found the over exposed "camera view" was a good way of trying to brighten up the mood. Putting that up against each of the tired and dirty characters really shows how worn down they actually are. I really want to trust her, I do. It all just seems too good. I find myself feeling the same as the characters, apprehensive, skeptical, scared even. Scared to be safe, scared to let their guard down. As stated by Carl and Carol, scared to get weak!

As attached as I was getting to the merkin on Rick’s face, I think it was the right time for it to go. I’d forgotten how legitimately handsome Andrew Lincoln was under that monstrosity. 

"Hey girl."

Not only is Rick looking slick, we now have the foundations of a potential love triangle with Michonne and Jessie. We do have that, right? Or am I just wishing desperately wishing projecting? I wouldn’t be mad if the next episode was just a romantic comedy starring Rick and Michonne titled Constables of Love.

Rick and Michonne get their jobs: constables. I'm sure no one saw that coming...I'm sure that is going to cause some static. As Rick mentioned, give these brand new people that kind of power? Is that a good idea? How will that sit with the "locals"? Like I said, I want to trust Deanna, but it's too fishy.

All they wanted was a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air and they got it, landing smack dab in the middle of Our Town. The question is, are they too far gone to fit into something resembling civilized society? I’m totally on board with the direction this Alexandria storyline is headed. I’ll admit, I was skeptical of yet another community for the group to join but now, juxtaposing just how much they’ve changed with a representation of how they used to be is very revealing. Our main characters are almost feral compared to the fresh faces of Alexandria. Almost everyone in the group is either able to comfortably settle into old comforts or at least pretend to settle into old comforts to keep up appearances. The only exception is Daryl, who spends the whole episode squirming and pacing like a rat in a cage. He’s the only one who doesn’t have a former domesticated persona to re-adopt. So far, Daryl is a wild animal on display in a zoo.

The interviews were a great way to show the dark side of what this group has been through. Carl's was probably my favourite interview. Straight up real talk, "I didn't lose her, I killed her.". Carol's was sad, the way she reminisced about her abusive husband was an interesting experience. It was good as a little reminder to the viewer, put it all on the table, this is what we have been through.

The only real conflict, besides the internal ones, is between Glenn and Aiden, turdbag son of Congresswoman Deanna. His schoolyard bully mentality immediate clashes with Glenn’s practical first-hand knowledge and approach. It was nice to see Deanna reveal to Glenn that her son is a toolpouch but will she still feel that way when his (incoming blind prediction) accidental death gets pegged on Glenn in a future episode?

The "runner" scenes were my favorite of the episode. Aiden is a tool. To have these people, who have been out there since the start, and not listen to them? That is crazy! Deanna wanted the group because of their experience outside. You would think that would register with Aiden. Everything Glenn did was great. Calling him out, insulting him about his dead friends. Great, I like when Glenn gets hard. Plus watching Daryl skulk about in the shadows always means a fight is about to break out! 

Daryl Dixon: Most Likely to Give Alexandria a Bad Yelp Review.

Enid. She is an odd duck. The other boys said she was new and came from beyond the wall, and that was it. Was she out there alone? Did she have a group? Parents? I hope we find out more about her. I have a feeling Carl will connect more with her than the soft boys. Why did she leave the grounds? Does she feel the same as Carl and doesn't want to get weak so she sneaks out and keeps her walker killing game strong?  All I could think of during that scene was "Stay in the god damn house Carl!" 

My favourite scene was the one I was dreading: Carl meeting the other teenagers. Being faced with the dilemma of playing video games or pool is something so trivial and unimportant, Carl has forgotten how to even process that kind of decision. What a great showcase for who Carl is now compared with what a "normal" kid his age would be like.

Carl hasn't quite mastered the art of tracking like Daryl, he loses Enid but somehow he finds his dad and they have a nice little bonding moment! Adorable. I think after Carl's comment about not getting soft got to Rick, he was more willing to have him stand beside him as an equal than to take the lead. Who took Rick's gun I wonder?

One of those pesky possums took Rick's Milkshake Gun I bet! For real, though, pretty sure it was Enid. Is Enid a spy for whoever the wolves (capital “W” Wolves?) are? We don't see any indication she has family in Alexandria.

So they have been there what? 2-3 days? Already we have conflicts; Glenn and Aiden, Rick and (probably) Jesse's husband, (will that lead to Michonne and Jesse?), Daryl and everybody, Carl and Enid (I imagine them being a Spiderman/Black Cat kind of team. Good team with a love/hate, banter fueled relationship)

I’m interested to see how the gang integrates itself into the community and either gels with it or takes it over because either way, they better do it fast, because if the hints mean anything…wolves not far.




QUESTIONS AND OBSERVATIONS
-Who was in the house outside of the fence that Carl noticed? Was it Enid, someone else from Alexandria, or some other entity?
-Michonne’s “Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes” expression when she sees clean shaven Rick is what keeps my Richonne ship afloat
-Carole that gun is clearly too much for you.
-Everything Carol did in this episode was deliberate to mask her badassness. She is playing possum. Carol, you sneaky, sneaky lady! She’s going undercover!
-Symbolism in the last scene was heavy. Clean, fairly well lit Carol over Rick's right shoulder with dirty, sitting in the shadows Daryl over his left.
-That was a hell of a closing line...
-Rick is the one who knocks.

Blair's Rating: A-
Steve's Rating: 3.7 hot showers out of 5

Blair's MVP: Rick
Steve's MVP: Glenn

Blair's Deadpool Pick: Aiden
Steve's Deadpool Pick: Aiden

(singing): "I'm starting with the man in the mirror…"

No comments:

Post a Comment