Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Nostalgia

Space Jam Soundtrack
Lightning Strikes, The Court Lights Get Dim



I was ten years old when Space Jam came out and like every other kid who liked basketball and movies at that age, I liked it. It wasn't my favorite movie ever, but it had Michael Jordan and it had Bugs Bunny. How could you go wrong? It even had Newman in it, but I didn't know or care about that in 1996.
I watched it again when I was fifteen. Throughout the whole movie, the only thing I could think was Why the hell didn't Michael Jordan win a frickin' Oscar for this? His performance is inspired! It's gritty, honest...okay, seriously, it's an abomination. A piece of plywood would have shown more acting ability than that. Here's the worst part: He was playing himself! He barely had to act at all! I'll throw him a small bone and say it probably wasn't easy talking to animated characters that aren't there. I guess he wasn't really there to act, just to be Michael Jordan. I'm sure if they ever make a sequel, they'll get Daniel Day-Lewis in the lead role. He'd drink the Monstars' milkshakes.
Movie aside, the soundtrack has become an all-time favorite for me. Every few years I revisit it, expecting to like it less than before and every time it surprises me. Maybe it's just nostalgia. Maybe it's because it was one of the first CDs I ever bought. Maybe it's just one of those things that I like because it reminds me of my childhood. Or maybe, just maybe, it's actually a pretty good album. Of course, their are definitely some garbage songs but the good ones more than make up for it.
Click "Read More" to see a track-by-track review.

1. Fly Like an Eagle - Seal
One of the best on the album. This song is perfect for when you're shooting around by yourself.
2. The Winner - Coolio
Lame. Always found this one annoying.
3. Space Jam - Quad City DJ's
It was awful then and it's even worse now. Come on and slam, if you wanna jam. What? Even at ten years old I knew this song sucked.
4. I Believe I Can Fly - R. Kelly
This is actually a pretty uplifting, inspirational song. It's too bad it was used for 99% of inspirational montages or powerpoints since then, making it overplayed and cliched.
5. Hit 'Em High (The Monstars' Anthem) - B-Real, Coolio, Method Man, LL Cool J and Busta Rhymes
I've listened to this song roughly four billion times. It's still awesome. Thinking about it, it probably wasn't easy coming up with an anthem for a bunch of cartoon aliens. I can only imagine how bad this could have been (Ninja Rap anyone?).
6. I Found My Smile Again - D'Angelo
I always skipped this song when I was young. I think it was because the intro is way too long and I just didn't have the attention span. Listening to it now, it's not actually half bad. Who knew?
7. For You I Will - Monica
Please don't.
8. Upside Down ('Round-N-'Round) - Salt-N-Pepa
Mediocre. They should have just used "Push It" and said it was a song about the fast break.
9. Givin' U All That I've Got - Robin S.
This song would feel right at home on Dance Mix 95. Fail.
10. Basketball Jones - Barry White and Chris Rock
Barry White + Chris Rock = Genius. Mike Tyson shoots the ball, against the wall, makes it fall.
11. I Turn To You - All-4-One
Gag.
12. All of My Days - Changing Faces featuring R. Kelly and Jay-Z
Pretty decent song but why is it on the Space Jam soundtrack? Ten year-olds can't relate to going to the club and spending money on your wife. I guess this one is for the parents.
13. That's the Way (I Like It) - Spin Doctors featuring Biz Markie
Yeah, it's Biz Markie!
14. Buggin' - Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd
Way to close out the album in style. This one also had the potential to be horrendous but somehow they pull it off. What kind of Mickey Mouse organization goes to Disneyland? Nice little spoof of Puff Daddy at the end when Daffy Duck says "I thought I told you that we won't stop. I thought I told you that we won't stop. Wait a minute, we're stopping. What is this?"

4 comments:

  1. Hit Em High is awesome, it makes the whole soundtrack bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blair, I like this entry... The soundtrack is pretty good, I might say... You definitely kept me entertained :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who says this movie is just for 10 years. This movie is one of my all time favorites. I even seen it on DVD at HMV the other day and would have bought it, wallet permitting. I've seen this movie at least 40 times and counting!

    ReplyDelete