Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Late to the Party

The Smiths

I’m not going to lie. Until I saw (500) Days of Summer, I had never heard of The Smiths. I had heard of Morissey, but wasn’t familiar with any of his music.

So when Zooey Deschanel leaned over and told Joseph Gordon-Levitt that she recognized the band he was listening to as The Smiths, I immediately had to know who they were and what they sounded like.


I was in for a treat. I put The Very Best of The Smiths into the CD player in my car and didn’t take it out for weeks. While a lot of the lyrics are fairly depressing (see “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” and “Girlfriend in a Coma”), the songs are easy to listen to and catchy enough to sing along to. I’m not very adept at describing musical style, so I won’t even try. I just know that I want to thank (500) Days of Summer for introducing me.

Personal Favourites
“Ask”
“The Boy With a Thorn in His Side”
“This Charming Man”
“Girlfriend in a Coma”
“Stop Me If You Think That You’ve Heard This One Before”


Image Credit: Brittanica.com

1 comment:

  1. It makes me feel soooo old to hear you hadn't heard of the Smiths. Sigh....great band.--Leanne

    ReplyDelete